Monday, October 5, 2015

McIlroy says apology saved him $20,000 in fines

Can you put a price on an apology? Yes, apparently.

Rory McIlroy told the Press Association that the PGA Tour reduced his fine by $20,000 for throwing a club into a lake earlier this year at Doral, thanks to a timely mea culpa.

“The fine was reduced from $25,000 to $5,000 because I said I was sorry on the TV interview afterwards,” McIlroy was quoted as saying.

The incident took place during the second round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship. After hitting his second shot into a lake at the par-5 eighth hole on the Blue Monster, McIlroy flung his 3-iron into the same offending hazard.

McIlroy’s iron was returned the next day, as course owner Donald Trump had a diver retrieve it.
In another interview with the Telegraph’s James Corrigan, McIlroy revealed that he considered leaving the European Tour earlier this year.


Using an analytics app from Santander, one of his sponsors, McIlroy said studying his travel statistics was eye-opening.

“The travel - wow! I’m in an airplane for more than a fortnight a year; have been in 118 different airports in 12 months. I’ve spent 287 nights in a hotel. What does that leave? Less than 80 nights in my own bed, whether it’s the one in Northern Ireland or Florida. I guess at the minute, I don't really have a home,” he said.

McIlroy needs to keep his European Tour membership in order to be eligible for next year’s Ryder Cup. Doing so requires that he compete in 13 European Tour-sanctioned events. Though, players like Paul Casey have lobbied for a reduction to 11.

McIlroy said that he is likely in a position to change membership rules, but “I don’t want to put the European Tour in that sort of position, because I owe a great deal to them. They gave me playing opportunities at the start of my career and I wouldn't be where I am without them.”

Read more:  http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mcilroy-says-apology-saved-him-20000-fines/

Related article:   Rory McIlroy taking 'selfish' view of Race to Dubai exemption

No comments:

Post a Comment